Foro1: Our Nig
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

The Great Gatsby

+18
Henry Jiménez Balboa
Edgar Valdés Duque
sofia Zavala
Itzel Maldonado
Sergio Enrique
Melisa Leyva Rivera
Carolina Job
Giezi.Sinai
Margarita Bravo
William Avendaño
atalo96
Fabiola Durán
Alma Avelino
yuriana trinidad
odalis hernandez
LauraVianney
Susana Martinez
Admin
22 participantes

Página 1 de 3. 1, 2, 3  Siguiente

The Great Gatsby Empty The Great Gatsby

Mensaje por Admin Mar Mayo 03, 2016 1:21 am

Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

Admin
Admin

https://ournig.foroactivo.mx

The Great Gatsby Empty Re: The Great Gatsby

Mensaje por Susana Martinez Jue Mayo 05, 2016 1:22 am

*Nick because despite being polite and pleasant in history, he is not afraid to tell it like it is , but as the story progresses, he becomes dishonest and indifferent like the others.
*The renamed James Gatz by Jay Gatsby, and when he was young he had had many adventures according to him and maybe because he said that he was very heroic in war.
*I think everybody lie in the story, although Gatsby had some loyalty by whom he loved, he lied that he had done such things and Tom eventhough he was honest as the story progressed, he was lying like the others characters.
*I do not think that money is so important to be honest, i think some people do it because they are ashamed of the fact how they obtained it, or because they were raised in a dofferent way to say the least.

Susana Martinez

Mensaje por Admin Jue Mayo 05, 2016 1:30 am

Hello Susana:

Thank you for your response. I would like you to elaborate a little bit more your answers. Remember, the purpose is to reflect in the questions and give a elaborated response.

Regards,

Admin
Admin

The Great Gatsby Empty Gatsby

Mensaje por LauraVianney Jue Mayo 05, 2016 3:09 am

I think who could be proud to tell the truth, was the Gatsby's father, becuse he spoke so proudly of her son to Nick.
First of all Gatsby lies in its name, because it was not the real, also he worked in illegal businesses,and he lying where he came from, because we can understand that his father was alive and he was not rich when he was younger.
In my opinion I think they all were lying at the beginning of the story even we may think that Nick was sincere of the story, but it was not, because even Jordan is the one who makes him see that neither he was as honest as he supposed.
I think money does not play an important role in honesty, because people can lie for different reasons and not just for the money, as I think was the case of Gatsby, because I think he never wanted to be rich by greed otherwise for love.

LauraVianney

Mensaje por Admin Jue Mayo 05, 2016 2:08 pm

Hello Vianney:

You just mentioned Nick, Gatsby and Nick's father. How about the other characters?

When you say: "I think they all were lying at the beginning of the story...", does it mean that they were sincere at the end?

Regards,

Admin
Admin

Mensaje por William Avendaño Jue Mayo 05, 2016 7:52 pm

I think that Gatsby was not honest because he stole Family Cody's inheritance to be at the height of Daisy because when he was a child and teenager, he was poor and because of that, he commanded to build a mansion in front of the Daisy's house and he organized parties to attract attentions Daisy.
I think that Nick was a faithful and sincere character since he was in last moment his friend Gatsby, the others characters (Tom, Gatsby, Mirtly and Daysi) were characters who lied. Tom was a proud and faithless man who is outraged when he uncovered the infidelity Daisy, Mirtly was a woman interested in the social position and Daysi was an unfaithful and women interested in money.
In my opinion, I think that money is not important to be honest because people are worth what they are not but what they have. Some people lie or pretend to be rich because they want to be accepted within a social group.

William Avendaño

Mensaje por odalis hernandez Jue Mayo 05, 2016 8:45 pm

hello !
For me this is a great story. It is clear that honesty is not present in any chapter of the story, I believe that anybody is proud on telling the truth, because all characters hide truths about others and lied at least once.
Gatsby seems as a good man (at the beginning of the story) but, thought it we can see that he has a dark past, so nobody know how he became a rich man. He is believed to be drug trafficker and that he has an ilegal business, so he organises parties to seem good in the society. From my point of view Gatsby is one of the most liar character.
I consider that all people of the story are liars, everybody wanted to keep back his or her mistakes in order to protect themselves from the society criticizes.
About the last question, honesty is a value that is develop in order to our personal growth, money here is a material thing we can get it in every age of our life. For that, I think that money is not a factor for be honest, honesty depends of our personal values without take into account if we are poor or rich people.

odalis hernandez

Mensaje por odalis hernandez Jue Mayo 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Susana Martinez escribió:*Nick because despite being polite and pleasant in history, he is not afraid to tell it like it is , but as the story progresses, he becomes dishonest and indifferent like the others.
*The renamed James Gatz by Jay Gatsby, and when he was young he had had many adventures according to him and maybe because he said that he was very heroic in war.
*I think everybody lie in the story, although Gatsby had some loyalty by whom he loved, he lied that he had done such things and Tom eventhough he was honest as the story progressed, he was lying like the others characters.
*I do not think that money is so important to be honest, i think some people do it because they are ashamed of the fact how they obtained it, or because they were raised in a dofferent way to say the least.

odalis hernandez escribió:
hello susana!,

I agree with you Gatsby appears to be a good man and he is a friendly person. But he is not honest, because he try to hide his past, he is a rich man and nobody in that place know why? .
He changed his name and we ask ourselves why? ( it is not mentioned) It is another thing that make us think about his honesty.
Also I want to make some comments to you about the last question; "money is not important to be honest" I am totally agree with you but many people do not think so. Unfortunately we live in a society where all our actions are criticized, whether it could be good or bad.

odalis hernandez

Mensaje por odalis hernandez Jue Mayo 05, 2016 9:31 pm

William Avendaño escribió:I think that Gatsby was not honest because he stole Family Cody's inheritance to be at the height of Daisy because when he was a child and teenager, he was poor and because of that, he commanded to build a mansion in front of the Daisy's house and he organized parties to attract attentions Daisy.
I think that Nick was a faithful and sincere character since he was in last moment his friend Gatsby, the others characters (Tom, Gatsby, Mirtly and Daysi) were characters who lied. Tom was a proud and faithless man who is outraged when he uncovered the infidelity Daisy, Mirtly was a woman interested in the social position and Daysi was an unfaithful and women interested in money.
In my opinion, I think that money is not important to be honest because people are worth what they are not but what they have. Some people lie or pretend to be rich because they want to be accepted within a social group.

Última edición por odalis hernandez el Jue Mayo 05, 2016 9:41 pm, editado 1 vez

odalis hernandez

Mensaje por odalis hernandez Jue Mayo 05, 2016 9:39 pm

William Avendaño escribió:I think that Gatsby was not honest because he stole Family Cody's inheritance to be at the height of Daisy because when he was a child and teenager, he was poor and because of that, he commanded to build a mansion in front of the Daisy's house and he organized parties to attract attentions Daisy.
ODALISHERNANDEZ
HELLO WILLIAM!
I am a bit disappointed with you about your comment that "Nick was faithful and sincere", why? because if you go to your cousin's home to spend  great time, and you hear that she is being betrayed (infidelity) by her husband what would you do?
If I were in Nick's shoes I would tell the truth to Daisy, although certainly I have a friendship with Tom, but I can not forget that she is part of my family, for that I should help to her. So where is Nick's faithful here? who is Nick's loyalty?
with respect to your others comments, I agree with you, you are right.
Laughing

odalis hernandez

Mensaje por yuriana trinidad Vie Mayo 06, 2016 12:11 am

the character pride themeselves was Nick because he was the sole connecting  between all the other principal characters. at the end everybody looked bad, except for him,Nick seemed like a weak character hypnotized by his admiration of a strong man but he became dishonest and indifferent like the others.
Gatsby was a rich person who did parties at night to invite all the person, he was willing to do anything to advance in society for that reason he wanted to win Daisy.
i think everybody lied in the story and everything was built aroud lie.
i do not believe that money is important to be honest, it is depends the person you are.

yuriana trinidad

Mensaje por Alma Avelino Vie Mayo 06, 2016 12:30 am

Hello william!
In some parts I disagree with your opinion about Nick was a faithful or honest person, he lied Gatsby because he did not want to tell him that Daisy never would leave his housband for Gats, also he did not tell Gatsby abour the relathionship between Tom and Mirtle. Nick lied Tom due to help Daisy and Gatsby to stay together even Nick knew that Daisy was married.

Alma Avelino

Mensaje por Alma Avelino Vie Mayo 06, 2016 1:10 am

Hello Odalis!
I agree with you about that all characters lied more than once in order to protect themselves, for example Gatsby did not told about his past life because he did not want that the other people knew the source of his riches.
I disagree with you that Gastby was the most liar character because all of them lied in similar manner and I think that we can not tell who character lied more. I can suppose that Tom lied a lost of times because I do know how many times he had sexual relations with Mirtle.
Finally, about money, it is clear that money is only part of materialism because money can not buy hapiness and being honest depends of our values.

Alma Avelino

Mensaje por Fabiola Durán Vie Mayo 06, 2016 2:10 am

Personally, I think that nobody was “honest”, at the beginning of the story I though Nick was the good character, he had goals, admiration and he believed in honesty and friendship. But as the problems happened he knew the truth of some problems and he did not say anything. He could count like a loyal person, his loyalty to Gatsby was big.

About the other characters in my opinion they were completely liers. Gatsby was involved in illegal deals. Honesty? Of course not, but he lied also because he really loved his old love, Daysi.

Daysi and Tom were cheaters. The honesty did not exist in their marriage. Tom was used his strong to intimidate others and cheated her wife. Daysi did the same, she cheated Tom with Gatsby so she was not honest.

I think everyone lied in some way and because of their “reasonable” reasons, but as I said I don’t think there was a truly honest person in the story.

Fabiola Durán

Mensaje por Admin Vie Mayo 06, 2016 2:13 am

Hello Fabiola:

What about the role money played for those characters' honesty? What do you think about?

Regards,

Admin
Admin

Mensaje por LauraVianney Vie Mayo 06, 2016 2:29 am

Admin escribió:Hello Vianney:

You just mentioned Nick, Gatsby and Nick's father. How about the other characters?

When you say: "I think they all were lying at the beginning of the story...", does it mean that they were sincere at the end?

Regards,

Hello Teacher,

I think the other caracters like Tom, Justine and Daisy were not worried about the fact that they were lying.

Somehow I think that all of them were sincere at the end, perhaps strangel, because Tom Faced Gabsy about his suspicions, and Gatsby told him about all that was happening with Daysi, also he told Nick some details about his life, and I think that Daysi talked with Tom about Gatsby.

regards,

LauraVianney

Mensaje por Admin Vie Mayo 06, 2016 2:35 am

Hello Vianney:

Thank you for clarifying your response. Good analysis. Keep it up!

Regards,

Admin
Admin

Mensaje por Fabiola Durán Vie Mayo 06, 2016 2:45 am

Admin escribió:Hello Fabiola:

What about the role money played for those characters' honesty? What do you think about?

Regards,

Hi teacher, I’m afraid I forgot to discuss about it.

In the case of Mirtle she wanted accommodation and the life the money provides. She and her husband had the thought that money brings happiness. About Gatsby and Tom I think they were opposites. Gatsby was well known by his big and expensive parties and Tom in the other way believed or seemed that he needn’t show how much money he had. The money did not make Gatsby happy even though he was very rich, for example he didn’t have the woman he loved. I think the story shows or tries to demonstrate that money doesn’t bring happiness.

Fabiola Durán

Mensaje por atalo96 Vie Mayo 06, 2016 3:39 am

well the honesty and money plays an important role in the story and i guess all the characters had lied in especific cases, for me gatsby just wanted to be happy whit the girl how he love him ok i share the idea that gatsby lied abount all around his life but he did with good intention.
Perhaps greed or ambition for power made lie Gatsby because Deysi was used to the good life and he tried to give her the best of him.
Now let me talk abot Nick Carraway  i really believe that he has lots of responsability because he knew Gatsby and Deysi however lack of honesty makes the story interesting.

atalo96

Mensaje por atalo96 Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:07 am

yuriana trinidad escribió:the character pride themeselves was Nick because he was the sole connecting  between all the other principal characters. at the end everybody looked bad, except for him,Nick seemed like a weak character hypnotized by his admiration of a strong man but he became dishonest and indifferent like the others.
Gatsby was a rich person who did parties at night to invite all the person, he was willing to do anything to advance in society for that reason he wanted to win Daisy.
i do not believe that money is important to be honest, it is depends the person you are.

hi yuriana well i share your idea that money do not need to be factor to be honest but i guess Gatsby was so in love and he did all that he did just for a woman thrust me when i tell you that Gatsby did all the possible and for that reason he had to lie

atalo96

Mensaje por William Avendaño Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:12 am

odalis hernandez escribió:
ODALISHERNANDEZ
HELLO WILLIAM!
I am a bit disappointed with you about your comment that "Nick was faithful and sincere", why? because if you go to your cousin's home to spend  great time, and you hear that she is being betrayed (infidelity) by her husband what would you do?
If I were in Nick's shoes I would tell the truth to Daisy, although certainly I have a friendship with Tom, but I can not forget that she is part of my family, for that I should help to her. So where is Nick's faithful here? who is Nick's loyalty?
with respect to your others comments, I agree with you, you are right.

HI Odalis!
From my point of view, Nick was sincere because he was the only person who was in Nick´s wake but he maybe he not say anything his cousin about her husband's infidelity because maybe he wanted not interfere in her matrimony. But on the other hand I agree with you because he could have told the truth to Daisy.
With respect to your question, if I were at cousin's home, I would tell her that her husband has an affair with another woman.

William Avendaño

Mensaje por William Avendaño Vie Mayo 06, 2016 5:05 am

yuriana trinidad escribió:the character pride themeselves was Nick because he was the sole connecting  between all the other principal characters. at the end everybody looked bad, except for him,Nick seemed like a weak character hypnotized by his admiration of a strong man but he became dishonest and indifferent like the others.

Hi Yurina
I agree with you, I think that Gatsby did anything to win back Daisy and due to, he organized parties in order to Daisy could attend, besides every night he looked green light because he felt Daisy nearby.
I like your reflection about the money, although many people lie to have money to be accepted in a social group and to pretend something they are not.

William Avendaño

Mensaje por Margarita Bravo Vie Mayo 06, 2016 6:01 am

I think that nobody was lying, they were just not telling the thruth. But of course that is an act of hypocrisy. And that is worse.
About the falsehoods of Gatsby. He was not honest because all of his business were illegal. But as he wanted to have a good possition on society to be accepted for Daysi he did not stop to think about what he was doing was ringht or wrong. His only goal was marry Daysi.
About the characters. As i said they were not lying literally. They did not just tell the thruth. Everebody was dishonest, Gatsby with his illegal business; Tom, Daysi and Mirtle with their infidelity; and Nick was dishonest too because he knew everything, about those relations and about the Gatsby's buasiness and he saved that to himaelf.
And about the money. Of course people can make money by honesty. But in The Great Gatsby was not the case. But as people judge a lot, most of us think that when someone have a better economic possition that us, that is an indication that something is wrong, thinking such bad occurrences like " they must be engaged in organ trafficking" or another crazy thing.
Well that is my point of view. You can be or not agree with me.

Margarita Bravo

Mensaje por Giezi.Sinai Vie Mayo 06, 2016 6:55 am

Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

I think that nobody inside the story told the truth, just Nick Carraway because he was who was telling the story and he tried to tell the truth always.
About that he was millionaire and he was lucky in obtaining all his money. Because at the beginning of the story, Nick Carraway said that Gatsby was as “nickname” I mean that it did not was his name. His name was Jack Gats. And the girl that he wanted to be marry, not want to marry with him because he did not have money, so he was a poor person.
Yes, I think the money plays an important role in honesty. Because if you wanted to join in a social group and you have or not have money and you wanted to integrate, you could lie or not to tell the truth about that you have money or not. Just to be “social” as in this story with Gatsby.

Giezi.Sinai

Mensaje por Carolina Job Vie Mayo 06, 2016 6:57 am

I believe this novel was based in the lack of honesty. I really like how it developed, we see at first the main characters, Gatsby and Nick exactly as they want the people to see them. And as we go through the novel, we realize the truth about them, we stop seeing just the good side and start seeing the whole person . I believe that's what happens when we meet people in real life, that's why this movie is so personal.

Gatsby lied since the moment he met Daisy. He has always been ashamed of his poberty and he did it to try to convince Daisy he was worth it, but I don't get how someone could want to be with a woman that only wants him because of his money. He kept lying about his roots and how he got all his money all the time. Daisy promised him that she would wait for him and didn't do it. Even in her marriage she cheated on his husband, and Tom did it as well. Nick didn't help at all. He could have finished a lot of problems if he had told the truth but he decided not to.

I don't think money has anything to do with honesty. Money do not define our moral, in which honesty is based.

Carolina Job

Mensaje por Contenido patrocinado

Contenido patrocinado

Página 1 de 3. 1, 2, 3  Siguiente