Foro1: Our Nig
¿Quieres reaccionar a este mensaje? Regístrate en el foro con unos pocos clics o inicia sesión para continuar.

The Great Gatsby

+18
Henry Jiménez Balboa
Edgar Valdés Duque
sofia Zavala
Itzel Maldonado
Sergio Enrique
Melisa Leyva Rivera
Carolina Job
Giezi.Sinai
Margarita Bravo
William Avendaño
atalo96
Fabiola Durán
Alma Avelino
yuriana trinidad
odalis hernandez
LauraVianney
Susana Martinez
Admin
22 participantes

Página 2 de 3. Precedente  1, 2, 3  Siguiente

The Great Gatsby - Página 2 Empty Re: The Great Gatsby

Mensaje por Giezi.Sinai Vie Mayo 06, 2016 7:00 am

atalo96 escribió:well the honesty and money plays an important role in the story and i guess all the characters had lied in especific cases, for me gatsby just wanted to be happy whit the girl how he love him ok i share the idea that gatsby lied abount all around his life but he did with good intention.
Perhaps greed or ambition for power made lie Gatsby because Deysi was  used to the good life and he tried to give her the best of him.
Now let me talk abot Nick Carraway  i really believe that he has lots of responsability because he knew Gatsby and Deysi however lack of honesty makes the story interesting.

Reply to Atalo

I think that in the story, Gatsby just wanted to be admired for having money and being able to have many friends say only that he was a millionaire. So his honesty was a proof because he wanted to be famous, have many friends and his dreamed girl who was Daisy

Giezi.Sinai

Mensaje por Giezi.Sinai Vie Mayo 06, 2016 7:05 am

Fabiola Durán escribió:
Personally, I think that nobody was “honest”, at the beginning of the story I though Nick was the good character, he had goals, admiration and he believed in honesty and friendship. But as the problems happened he knew the truth of some problems and he did not say anything. He could count like a loyal person, his loyalty to Gatsby was big.

About the other characters in my opinion they were completely liers. Gatsby was involved in illegal deals. Honesty?  Of course not, but he lied also because he really loved his old love, Daysi.

Daysi and Tom were cheaters. The honesty did not exist in their marriage. Tom was used his strong to intimidate others and cheated her wife. Daysi did the same, she cheated Tom with Gatsby so she was not honest.

I think everyone lied in some way and because of their “reasonable” reasons, but as I said I don’t think there was a truly honest person in the story.

Reply to Fabiola

I agree with you because Nick was so loyalty and he was estimating Gatsby as his friend so he did not say anything about Gatsby's businesses. I think that anybody inside the story said the truth only Nick Carraway

Giezi.Sinai

Mensaje por Margarita Bravo Vie Mayo 06, 2016 8:05 am

Hello william.
When you said that Daisy was not faithful to her husband, yes she does not. But then you said that she was just interested in money. I think that was not true. In those times it was supposed that a lady with good possition had to marry a man with the same one. It was not like now, when you can decide if you want to marry a poor or rich person. Daisy had to do what she had. Even i think she was obligated by her parents.

Margarita Bravo

Mensaje por Margarita Bravo Vie Mayo 06, 2016 8:06 am

Hello william.
When you said that Daisy was not faithful to her husband, yes she does not. But then you said that she was just interested in money. I think that was not true. In those times it was supposed that a lady with good possition had to marry a man with the same one. It was not like now, when you can decide if you want to marry a poor or rich person. Daisy had to do what she had. Even i think she was obligated by her parents.

Margarita Bravo

Mensaje por Margarita Bravo Vie Mayo 06, 2016 8:21 am

Hello odalis.
I am not agree with you about Gatsby being the most lier in the story. Yes, maybe he did not say anythibg about how he made so much money. But, what is the matter in that? I think that if something does not affect other people, why these people have to be worried about where that fortune comes from.
But in the case of the others Daisy, Tom and Mirtle, they were the worst. They commited infidelity and this does really affect another ones. And about Nick, he did not say anything to Daisy, who was supposed his cousin.
So that i think that the most dishonest were the others not Gatsby.

Margarita Bravo

Mensaje por Susana Martinez Vie Mayo 06, 2016 3:32 pm

William Avendaño escribió:I think that Gatsby was not honest because he stole Family Cody's inheritance to be at the height of Daisy because when he was a child and teenager, he was poor and because of that, he commanded to build a mansion in front of the Daisy's house and he organized parties to attract attentions Daisy.
I think that Nick was a faithful and sincere character since he was in last moment his friend Gatsby, the others characters (Tom, Gatsby, Mirtly and Daysi) were characters who lied. Tom was a proud and faithless man who is outraged when he uncovered the infidelity Daisy, Mirtly was a woman interested in the social position and Daysi was an unfaithful and women interested in money.
In my opinion, I think that money is not important to be honest because people are worth what they are not but what they have. Some people lie or pretend to be rich because they want to be accepted within a social group.

Yes, i think the same, Gatsby was a liar all the time, because nobody knew how he made money, and i think that money is not important to be honest but in some cases people do it only to be accepted in society.

Susana Martinez

Mensaje por Melisa Leyva Rivera Vie Mayo 06, 2016 3:59 pm

Well, I think, in the story nobody was honesty, nobody told the truth, I thought Nick was the only person that was honesty, because he was polite and empath person,. But the reality is that he was not!!.

About Mr. Gatsby, in my opinion, I consider he was involved in dirty business, it was so strange, where all his money came? We don´t know, i also want to mention that he  just organized all those luxurious partied just for get the attention of Daysi, I consider  that he was really in love of her.
And the other characters, as I mention everyone lied, for example in the relationship between Daysi and Tom it was a big lie, they were not honest to each other, Tom had another lover and Daysi was in love with Mr. Gatsby. deceive each other I think that is not honesty.

About the role of  money in the honesty, I think it not play a role in honesty, it depend of each person, money could do many things, but it can´t make you a honest person.

Melisa Leyva Rivera

Mensaje por Melisa Leyva Rivera Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:12 pm

odalis hernandez escribió:hello !
For me this is a great story. It is clear that honesty is not present in any chapter of the story, I believe that anybody is proud on telling the truth, because all characters hide truths about others and lied at least once.
Gatsby seems as a good man (at the beginning of the story) but, thought it we can see that he has a dark past, so nobody know how he became a rich man.  He is believed to be drug trafficker  and that he has an ilegal business, so he organises parties to seem good in the society. From my point of view Gatsby is one of the most liar character.
I consider that all people of the story are liars, everybody wanted to keep back his or her mistakes in order to protect themselves from the society criticizes.
About the last question, honesty is a value that is develop in order to our personal growth, money here is a material thing we can get it in every age of our life. For that, I think that money is not a factor for be honest, honesty depends of our personal values without take into account if we are poor or rich people.

Hello Odalis I agree with your opinion because as you said anybody were showed honesty, and of course Mr. Gatsby seemed like a good person and he was a good person at the beginning of the story, but a person that does not be honest lost something important and it is the confidence.

Melisa Leyva Rivera

Mensaje por Melisa Leyva Rivera Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:17 pm

Fabiola Durán escribió:
Personally, I think that nobody was “honest”, at the beginning of the story I though Nick was the good character, he had goals, admiration and he believed in honesty and friendship. But as the problems happened he knew the truth of some problems and he did not say anything. He could count like a loyal person, his loyalty to Gatsby was big.

About the other characters in my opinion they were completely liers. Gatsby was involved in illegal deals. Honesty?  Of course not, but he lied also because he really loved his old love, Daysi.

Daysi and Tom were cheaters. The honesty did not exist in their marriage. Tom was used his strong to intimidate others and cheated her wife. Daysi did the same, she cheated Tom with Gatsby so she was not honest.

I think everyone lied in some way and because of their “reasonable” reasons, but as I said I don’t think there was a truly honest person in the story.

Hey Faby!
I support your idea about Nick, I also think he was a polite and an honest person, he seemed that he was a good character, but at the end I was really disappointed of him, as you said he kept some thrust, and about Mr. Gatsby he was not honest, and about his money I think he was involved in very bad business.

Melisa Leyva Rivera

Mensaje por Sergio Enrique Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:27 pm

Giezi.Sinai escribió:Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

I think that nobody inside the story told the truth, just Nick Carraway because he was who was telling the story and he tried to tell the truth always.
About that he was millionaire and he was lucky in obtaining all his money. Because at the beginning of the story, Nick Carraway said that Gatsby was as “nickname” I mean that it did not was his name. His name was Jack Gats. And the girl that he wanted to be marry, not want to marry with him because he did not have money, so he was a poor person.
Yes, I think the money plays an important role in honesty. Because if you wanted to join in a social group and you have or not have money and you wanted to integrate, you could lie or not to tell the truth about that you have money or not. Just to be “social” as in this story with Gatsby.

Hello Sinai!
I do agree about what you said. Maybe Nick was the only one who tried to be honest because he really felt kind of affection about Gatsby. Perhaps Nick could something else about Gatsby that no one esle could see.
Well Gatsby was rich and he kept lying about everything and I think that he never wanted to be part of a social group in order how he kept distance when his parties took place inside his house.

Sergio Enrique

Mensaje por Sergio Enrique Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:33 pm

Melisa Leyva Rivera escribió:Well, I think, in the story nobody was honesty, nobody told the truth, I thought Nick was the only person that was honesty, because he was polite and empath person,. But the reality is that he was not!!.

About Mr. Gatsby, in my opinion, I consider he was involved in dirty business, it was so strange, where all his money came? We don´t know, i also want to mention that he  just organized all those luxurious partied just for get the attention of Daysi, I consider  that he was really in love of her.
And the other characters, as I mention everyone lied, for example in the relationship between Daysi and Tom it was a big lie, they were not honest to each other, Tom had another lover and Daysi was in love with Mr. Gatsby. deceive each other I think that is not honesty.

About the role of  money in the honesty, I think it not play a role in honesty, it depend of each person, money could do many things, but it can´t make you a honest person.

Good Morning Melisa!
I think that he just didn't make parties to get Daisy's attention but to keep a image to society. People as rich as Gatsby had a reputation to save because as you know those kind of social groups can be so cruel in the moment to judge someone.
And you are right. Money can't make people, if you lie you will lie with or without money.

Sergio Enrique

Mensaje por Melisa Leyva Rivera Vie Mayo 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Sergio Enrique escribió:
Melisa Leyva Rivera escribió:Well, I think, in the story nobody was honesty, nobody told the truth, I thought Nick was the only person that was honesty, because he was polite and empath person,. But the reality is that he was not!!.

Good Morning Melisa!
I think that he just didn't make parties to get Daisy's attention but to keep a image to society. People as rich as Gatsby had a reputation to save because as you know those kind of social groups can be so cruel in the moment to judge someone.
And you are right. Money can't make people, if you lie you will lie with or without money.

Hello Sergio!
Thank you for you observation Smile and yes you´ve got the reason about Mr.Gatsby that he also wanted to have a good image in the society. Regards!

Melisa Leyva Rivera

The Great Gatsby - Página 2 Empty Hello Susana

Mensaje por Itzel Maldonado Vie Mayo 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Susana Martinez escribió:*Nick because despite being polite and pleasant in history, he is not afraid to tell it like it is , but as the story progresses, he becomes dishonest and indifferent like the others.
*The renamed James Gatz by Jay Gatsby, and when he was young he had had many adventures according to him and maybe because he said that he was very heroic in war.
*I think everybody lie in the story, although Gatsby had some loyalty by whom he loved, he lied that he had done such things and Tom eventhough he was honest as the story progressed, he was lying like the others characters.
*I do not think that money is so important to be honest, i think some people do it because they are ashamed of the fact how they obtained it, or because they were raised in a dofferent way to say the least.

Hello Susana. I'm agree with you when you say '' I do not think that money is so important to be honest''. Exactly, to be honest you do not need to be rich, but  have education, in some cases the poor are more honest than people who have money. The education is more important than the money.

Itzel Maldonado

Mensaje por Itzel Maldonado Vie Mayo 06, 2016 10:04 pm

In my opinion, nobody was honest, nobody told the truth, except Nick, if he had told the true and he had helped to finish with the problems, maybe the story had had a different end and he had been the unique honest character, but he not do it. Gatsby always lied, because he never told about how he become to be rich, never told that had an illegal job. Tom and Daisy, I think they were the worst liars, Tom had a lover and Daisy just was with Gastby by his money, she didn't love him.
And I don't think money play an important role in honesty because for to be honest you just need to have education, is many cases the money just destroy the people.

Itzel Maldonado

Mensaje por Itzel Maldonado Vie Mayo 06, 2016 10:12 pm

Giezi.Sinai escribió:Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

I think that nobody inside the story told the truth, just Nick Carraway because he was who was telling the story and he tried to tell the truth always.
About that he was millionaire and he was lucky in obtaining all his money. Because at the beginning of the story, Nick Carraway said that Gatsby was as “nickname” I mean that it did not was his name. His name was Jack Gats. And the girl that he wanted to be marry, not want to marry with him because he did not have money, so he was a poor person.
Yes, I think the money plays an important role in honesty. Because if you wanted to join in a social group and you have or not have money and you wanted to integrate, you could lie or not to tell the truth about that you have money or not. Just to be “social” as in this story with Gatsby.

Hello Sinaí, I disagree with you , I don't think the money play an important role in honesty, because you don't need to have money for to be honest, the money isn't important, the most important is the education. Very Happy

Itzel Maldonado

Mensaje por Alma Avelino Vie Mayo 06, 2016 11:32 pm

From my point of view, all the characters lied more than once. Gatsby lied from the beginning to the end because he never told the truth about where his possessions came. Gatsby knew that the source of his riches was wrong, he made ilegal business. Jay only told Nick the truth about it. When Gatsby started to see Daisy, he knew that Daisy was married but in spite of that Gatsby kept in touch with Daisy.

Daisy lied her husband because she did not mentioned anything Tom about Gatsby and even she get a relationship with Gatsby despite she was already married with Tom. In the part of the story when the other character judged Gats for filling Mirtle, she did nothing to save him and in that moment I realized that she lied about her love to Tom and Gatsby due to maintain her status position as a perfect woman in society.

For me, Tom was the character who proud about telling the truth and even when he asked Gatsby how he had gained his money, Tom told to be a honorable man despite of he knew that he was not. He had intimacy with Mirtle so he also lied Daisy.

About Mirtle, I think that she lied too. She had sexual relations with Tom and she lied her husband all the time.

Finally, in my opinion Nick was liar because at first Nick lied Tom when he helped Daisy and Gatsby to be together, and in the party at Gatsby´s house when Tom was looking Daisy Nick lied Tom about he did not know where Daisy was. Moreover Nick never told Daisy that he knew about the relationship between Tom and Mirtle.

The honesty and morality seem to be dependent of money, status position in society, class and gender.

Alma Avelino

Mensaje por sofia Zavala Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 12:10 am

Well I think that nobody was honest, Gatsby was not honest about his business and I think because he wanted to be accepting by the society and to win Daysi´s heart.  About Tom He lied about his lover I think that when you are married, you have to say that kind of things otherwise you are lying, Myrtle was a liar too about infidelity. Daysi was not honest about nothing, even she was lying to herself, because she wanted to preserve her status. Nick was in the middle of everything and when he discovered the true, he did not anything to help them, I think when you are involucrate in this kind of situations you have to say it , because you can cause problems juts for omitted the truth.
About the money, I think that some of the character had the money in their mains, maybe lied for money was not   their purpose because at the end, money was not what they want, but I think that some of them lied to be in a better position ,for the money.

sofia Zavala

The Great Gatsby - Página 2 Empty RE: The Great Gatsby

Mensaje por Edgar Valdés Duque Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 12:28 am

Admin escribió:Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby
Honesty in "The Great Gatsby" is a value that it is lacking, if not, inexistent. The whole premise of the book is about a group of rich indidivuals who develop their life based on appearances and lies, dishonesty and treason.

Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth?
None of the characters pride themselves of telling the truth, they all lie, they are all hipocrites

What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society?

The procedence of his wealth was something that Gatsby always kept as a secret, he never told anyone about it, and it was implied in the story that he was associated with suspicious bussiness, such as bootlegging and possibly ilegal alcohol.

Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story?

Yes, they all lied.

Jay Gatsby about his procedence and wealth, even his own name was made up

Nick Carraway he was disgusted by the attitutes of the rich people which he hung up with, but he still hanged around them, so he was a hypocrite and a liar.

Daisy Buchanan She was living through a false marriage, she was married to Tom Buchanan but in reality she loved Jay Gatsby

Tom Buchanan He had an affair with Myrtle Wilson, so he lied about his faithfulness with Daisy.

Myrtle Wilson She held an affair with Tom Buchanan, thus lying to his husband, and pretending that nothing is happening.

Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?
Yes I do, when someone becomes rich or adquires wealth, he has to do different and certain things in order to mantain his social and economical status and appearances, said things include: Lying, Deceiving, Manipulating, etc.

Edgar Valdés Duque

The Great Gatsby - Página 2 Empty Respuesta a Carolina Job

Mensaje por Edgar Valdés Duque Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 12:34 am

Carolina Job escribió:I believe this novel was based in the lack of honesty. I really like how it developed, we see at first the main characters, Gatsby and Nick exactly as they want the people to see them. And as we go through the novel, we realize the truth about them, we stop seeing just the good side and start seeing the whole person . I believe that's what happens when we meet people in real life, that's why this movie is so personal.

Gatsby lied since the moment he met Daisy. He has always been ashamed of his poberty and he did it to try to convince Daisy he was worth it, but I don't get how someone could want to be with a woman that only wants him because of his money. He kept lying about his roots and how he got all his money all the time. Daisy promised him that she would wait for him and didn't do it. Even in her marriage she cheated on his husband, and Tom did it as well. Nick didn't help at all. He could have finished a lot of problems if he had told the truth but he decided not to.

I don't think money has anything to do with honesty. Money do not define our moral, in which honesty is based.

I strongly agree with you Carolina, at the beggining of the story, most of the characters are portraited in a certain way but as your read more and more it starts to reveal their real personalities, intentions, atittudes, way of thinking etc.

And unfortunately for most of the characters it implies going downhill, this means that they suffered a decadence in several ways.

Edgar Valdés Duque

Mensaje por Edgar Valdés Duque Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 12:39 am

Alma Avelino escribió:From my point of view, all the characters lied more than once. Gatsby lied from the beginning to the end because he never told the truth about where his possessions came. Gatsby knew that the source of his riches was wrong, he made ilegal business. Jay only told Nick the truth about it. When Gatsby started to see Daisy, he knew that Daisy was married but in spite of that Gatsby kept in touch with Daisy.

Daisy lied her husband because she did not mentioned anything Tom about Gatsby and even she get a relationship with Gatsby despite she was already married with Tom. In the part of the story when the other character judged Gats for filling Mirtle, she did nothing to save him and in that moment I realized that she lied about her love to Tom and Gatsby due to maintain her status position as a perfect woman in society.

For me, Tom was the character who proud about telling the truth and even when he asked Gatsby how he had gained his money, Tom told to be a honorable man despite of he knew that he was not. He had intimacy with Mirtle so he also lied Daisy.

About Mirtle, I think that she lied too. She had sexual relations with Tom and she lied her husband all the time.

Finally, in my opinion Nick was liar because at first Nick lied Tom when he helped Daisy and Gatsby to be together, and in the party at Gatsby´s house when Tom was looking Daisy Nick lied Tom about he did not know where Daisy was. Moreover Nick never told Daisy that he knew about the relationship between Tom and Mirtle.

The honesty and morality seem to be dependent of money, status position in society, class and gender.

I agree with some points you make, and congratulations for such well written response, the fact that all of their actions were based on lies makes you think that the story could end in a bad situation, but never to the degree of Gatsby getting shot, what an amazing way to end a story.

Edgar Valdés Duque

Mensaje por sofia Zavala Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 1:01 am

Fabiola Durán escribió:

Hello Faby
I agree with you in all the things that you have said, Even in the part where you says that in their marriege did not exist the honesty , I think that is true, in my opinion they had been lying to themselves so nobady was honest.

sofia Zavala

Mensaje por sofia Zavala Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 1:13 am

Margarita Bravo escribió:Hello odalis.
I am not agree with you about Gatsby being the most lier in the story. Yes, maybe he did not say anythibg about how he made so much money. But, what is the matter in that? I think that if something does not affect other people, why these people have to be worried about where that fortune comes from.
But in the case of the others Daisy, Tom and Mirtle, they were the worst. They commited infidelity and this does really affect another ones. And about Nick, he did not say anything to Daisy, who was supposed his cousin.
So that i think that the most dishonest were the others not Gatsby.

Hello Margarita
I totally agree with you , i think Tom , Mirtle and Daysi were the worts , as i said they were married and that kind of things affect others , in my opinion Mirtle would have had a different ending and everything would have been different even Gastbi maybe had lived. I think that kind of lies you never know how it affects a person or more.

sofia Zavala

Mensaje por Henry Jiménez Balboa Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 2:06 am

I think that all the characters lied in the story, starting with Gatsby about his real name and how he got his wealth. Nick lied to Tom about the relationship between Gatsby and Daisey. Tom lied to Daisey about a lover he had (Mirtle). Daisey lied to Tom because of the relationship with Gatsby.
Honesty and money play an important rol. If each one of the characters had acted with the true, many things had changed, like Gatsby's murder.
Money was the opsetion in the story (for me), because Daisye wanted a good possesion in the society.

Henry Jiménez Balboa

Mensaje por Henry Jiménez Balboa Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 2:20 am

Hello Vianney, I think that you mentioned important points about the story, I agree with you about that the Gatsby's father was proud about him. in fact, about that all the characters lied in the story, but why do you think that? what was the more important factor for you?
I think that the great lier was Tom, because he lied to his wife and then he showed an angelic face in front of Daisey. I think that. Laughing

Henry Jiménez Balboa

Mensaje por Alondra Centeno Sáb Mayo 07, 2016 5:05 am

Discuss the role of honesty in The Great Gatsby. Which characters pride themselves on telling the truth? What falsehoods has Gatsby relied upon to advance in society? Does everybody (main characters – Gatsby, Daysi, Tom, Mirtle, Nick) lie in the story? Do you consider money play an important role in honesty?

I think nobody of them were not honest; each character hid something, the beginning of the story Jay seemed to be honest but then we can see that he is not I though. Jay was also lying since the beginning because he had a turbid business that’s why he wanted to hide his past. None of them wanted to say the true because they believed in their own lies.

I think the money is a problem with respect to the honesty for example Jay had to lie for impressing to the society with big with success that really it was bad business. These days often happen when you want to have money; it finds a way of getting fame.

Alondra Centeno

Mensaje por Contenido patrocinado

Contenido patrocinado

Página 2 de 3. Precedente  1, 2, 3  Siguiente